Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Combat base DLR sweep series

I learned this De La Riva sweep series from Christian Montes in New York when I visited them in 2004 and have been using it ever since. I almost always go for this when people sit in combat base (=one knee up) in my guard.

This works both with the gi and without. Naturally it is more difficult without the gi as you need to have good control of your opponents arms, but it is possible and I do it all the time.


Ok we start out with my opponent sitting in combat base in my open guard. Notice how I sit. I wanna be a little to his left and using my right arm to block his right shoulder, keeping him from turning and leaning into me.


To set up the sweeps, I first control his arms. I grab both sleeves joystick style (or grab the wrists no-gi) and place my left foot on his right knee. I wanna pull his arms a little towards me, not allowing him to lean back and create space.


Now I kick out my left foot, pushing his knee back to create space between his legs for me to insert my DLR hook. Also I lean a little to the side which makes it easier for me to get my leg in.


I insert my right leg so that my ancle is touching his hip. Wanna be aware a little aware of the heelhook here, so be prepared to pull the foot a little back if he tries. As long as you control the arms it should be no problem though.


Now the first sweep is simple. Keeping my grip, I pull his arms towards me and almost straighten my body out as I fall to my side.


I am not trying to push or pull him to the side - if I keep my grips correct, he will fall really easy (actually sometimes landing pretty bad on his right shoulder). Me falling to my side is all it takes to make this work.


As soon as I have swept him, I slide my knee over his thigh. Don't wanna try and mount here as he will probably catch me in halfguard og guard.


From here I underhook and crossface to flatten him out.


...and hopefully end up in side control position.


Second variation

If my opponent knows I am gonna sweep him to his right, he might switch his weight to his left in order to defend the sweep.


In this case, I place my left shin across his chest for the scissor sweep position.


Now it is a little different from the regular scissor sweep, because here I wanna try to kick my bottom leg as far back as possible, stretching his left leg out and thereby making him fall to his left.


Third variation

Another option he has is to lean backwards.


If he does this, I let go of his arms and put my left hand on his left shoulder and my right hand behind me.


In my very best zhoo zhitzoo style I lift my butt and pull my right leg out under me to strech his left leg out.


From here I drive forward and probably end up in his halfguard.


Forth variation

Sometimes this sweep is possible to do as well, depending on his weight placement and your angle on him. It's really simple, works great.


From the starting position I insert my left foot behind his left ancle.


Now I lean to my side and kick that foot up in the air. This will make him fall backwards.


I sit up and try to slide my knee in right away.

Also here, I always try to look as cool as possible with my new SuperFro gi patch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog, I knew only taking the back and the basic sweep so I"m looking to learn De la Riva Guard.

Anonymous said...

That is an absolutely PIMP series. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I have been getting caught with a couple of these on a regular basis. Thanks for the insight!

__