Sunday, November 27, 2011

It's official: I am getting old(er)


I have been training martial arts basically my entire life. When I was a kid, I didn't even know about the concept of recovery. I was never tired. Even when I was in my teens and early twenties, I could train as much and hard as I wanted, combined with only little sleep and drinking alcohol every weekend, and still not be get tired from it. At that time, many people told me "oooh, you just wait till you get to your thirties, then you'll start feeling it!".


I think I have been cheated. It is still a good six months till I turn thirty and my body feels like a wreck at the moment!

When I was younger, injuries was something I had for days or weeks. Now, they seem to last for months or years instead. When I have had a hard night of training, I wake up the next day and feel like I have been hit by a truck.

The knee injury I got in competition last summer is still nagging me, so is the shoulder problem from August. To make things worse, I hurt my lower back pretty bad friday. I got a herniated disc there about six years ago, which had started to heal up pretty well. When rolling, I was twisted or pushed or something, I am not sure what happened, but I felt a slight pain exactly in my disc injury. The result was, that I was in my bed the entire day yesterday, not being able to stand up or walk.


Despite having gotten much better today, I am seriously worried about this back injury, as it could potentially sideline me for a long time. And I don't like breaks from training. At all :(

Anyways, I am crossing my fingers, staying away from sparring, seeing my doctor and starting rehab training tomorrow. I hope it is not bad enough to keep me from competing at the Europeans in two months, but we'll see.

10 comments:

Jim said...

Wait until you're 47-years-old and still doing this stuff.

Anonymous said...

I experienced exactly the same. I think if you get older the one with the best recovery wins. I set my focus now on longterm goals like staying healty and injuryfree instead of try to be the strongest or the one with the best cardio.
Well i think we are really getting old.

Aaron Bair said...

I hope it is nothing serious and it doesn't sideline you for long.

Try to rest and relax. Just imagine trying to start this sport at 30.

I have muscles that are sore that I didn't even know I had.

Good Luck!

http://jiujitsu-360.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I'm icing my elbow right now! Late 20s represent!

Georgette said...

Two suggestions:

1. Find a chiropractic neurologist. Different from, better than, safer than an ordinary chiropractor.

2. Try somatomax. It's an over-the-counter nutritional supplement (available on amazon.com) that spurs your body to produce more HGH (human growth hormone.) Bunch of guys at my academy used it and avoided serious shoulder surgery. It will make you sleep REALLY solidly, so take half a dose the first couple times and get used to it; only take it before bed and only when you can sleep a solid 8 hours. But it really works.

Christian Graugart said...

Hey georgette, thanks for the advices. I'll check the available chiropractic options in my area, so far I have a booking with my usual physio.

I cant buy medication from the US, it will most likely be stopped in customs here. Apart from that, I don't like to put any chemicals in my body other than food usually :)

Jakob E. Søderberg said...

I felt sad for my self yesterday after 2 x 2 hours BJJ masterclass on Sunday (I'm 40).... then I saw Dan Henderson (age 41!) vs. Mauricio Shogun Rua at UFC 139 - suddenly I don't feel sad about myself anymore!

And by the way - congratulations in getting older! :-)

Jaguar Tang said...

Well...rest up your injury..and its time to get INKED!!! We are all one!

Thermage Singapore said...

eAge is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. ~Leroy "Satchel" Paige. Sometimes you think back and wish you never did. lol

esraa adham said...

https://tmblr.co/ZcaPoj2Bk7RDQ
https://tmblr.co/ZcaPoj2Bk7ZaB
https://tmblr.co/ZcaPoj2BkA5WZ
https://tmblr.co/ZcaPoj2BkBsuV
https://tmblr.co/ZcaPoj2BkKQCs

__