Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Shaolin-style test of patience

Apart from a one-year break in my teens after I stopped Taekwondo, right now is the longest period away from training I have ever had since I was seven years old. It is a real test of my patience, and I feel like I am in some Shaolin temple and a munk has told me to sit still for months and watch a thousand trainings to train my mind. E.g. it fucking sucks.

 Things are moving forward a bit though, I believe. I am getting an x-ray of my back soon and I have started to test my back a little, by doing very little and very limited sparring to see how it reacts. So far, the results have been mixed. I feel something in my leg (a bad sign), but it is not as much as it could have been (a good sign).


In the weekend, I went to Bornholm, a small Danish island, to do a seminar. There is a little group there of 6-7 people who are trying to start up a gym. It is hard work in such a small island, where most of the youth leaves for the mainland when they are in their late teens, but I think they are doing a great job, and there is a lot of potential for them. Since we were training no-gi, which exposes me to less jerking and fighting for posture and thereby is not as bad for my back, I was tempted to roll a few rounds with the guys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, sorry to hear about your back. I know all too well what you are going through. I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery - If you start a new "BJJ for disabled people" program, I will come back to CSA :-) Who knows, maybe BJJ can make it into the Paralympics :-)

BR,
Michael (former CSA, now just a lardarse with a bad back)

Derek said...

you should get an MRI man, dont think an x ray will help.

Christian Graugart said...

Yeah, I agree, but the route to get an MRI here (unless you want to pay for it) goes through physiotherapy and x-ray. There was less than one day waiting time and it is free, so it doesn't really hurt to go do it and get an extra check anyway :)

Derek said...

ah ok. best of luck

__